[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 11:16:15 PDT 2016

I value your comments and criticisms. For that I have section in my blog titled "comments"  in my blog. Please use it:http://www.medievalspanishchef.com <http://www.medievalspanishchef.com/>

> JIMCHEVAL at aol.com wrote:
"The distinction that applies for our period is between bread from theWestern, Christian portion of Europe as opposed to bread from an Arab or Midwestern tradition. Recipes exist for the latter, not for the former, before the end of the Middle Ages.

"Granted in general Hispano-Muslim recipes look likeflatbread but that depends on the amount of liquid used to mix the flour and which liquids. Generally they seem to call for water but as not specified, milks and eggs could be a possibility which changes to recipe into loafs, rolls, turnover dough and/or pancakes.."

In my version – adaptation and ELABORATION of Al-Andalus recipe number 145, published in blog titled molletes, it came out to be a bread roll. Because the original text tells the reader to make dough with flour but does not list moistening ingredients. As it was up to me I ended up with delicious bread rolls!

I am currently preparing Fadalat’s 3rd (out of four) bread recipes, which is coming out to look like another flat bread but if I add more liquid I would have pancakes, which I could do as the recipe fails to tell me which liquid(s) or how much liquid should be used.

As far as other medieval “European” bread recipes are concerned, I recommend consulting Curye on English, which uses the French derivation of pain to mean bread.