[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 125, Issue 21

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 22 13:40:07 PDT 2016

Stefan li Rous wrote:
>An individual posted, I think in her Facebook timeline, about a recent SCA feast:
><<< Feast last night was Great!
>Round loaves of fresh-baked on site, bread and patties of honey butter and herbed (real) butter [SNIP] >>>
>
>I posted that honey butter wasn?t period. and got this reply:
>Diana Shell Wertz
><<< uh,.... why wouldn't 'honey-butter' be period ???? both are period. why couldn't they have been combined ? I thought 'honey' was considered a 'spice' (sorta) there's just no reason they couldn't have been?? >>>
>
>And gave one supporting file and one that I thought could be used to create alternatives.
>
>Honey-Butter-art (20K) 11/17/01 "Is Honey Butter Period?" by THL Katja Davidova Orlova Khazarina.
>http://www.florilegium.org/.../FOOD.../Honey-Butter-art.html
>
>flavord-butrs-msg (45K) 10/26/10 Period and SCA, flavored butters.
>http://www.florilegium.org/.../FOO.../flavord-butrs-msg.html
>
>Then I get criticized with:
><<< Bragg MacMorrichai
>As a culinary historian, I appreciate the fact that you point out, we have no period recipes for honey butter. Seeing as in Meridies , a"period" feast is usually announced as such , with attendant documentation presented before hand....and most of our feast are not period,but a mix of traditional favorites and sometimes even blatantly mundane fare, to dig on this one thing out of a menu, seems a bit uncalled for. >>>
>
>I don?t think I?m being overly critical. Am I?
>
>That was just a very obvious mistake to me and I thought it worthwhile to correct it.
>
>I think there are other problems, too, without have more details. For instance, I don?t know what the ?Assorted drinks? included.
>The ?very flakey crust? seems very unlikely to me.
>
>Any other comments on this feast as given?
>
>I?m not just trying to be critical, at least I don?t think so. This feast does seem to be much better than many of the SCA feasts in Meridies from what I?ve seen in feast menu announcements.
>
>Stefan
>PS: Does someone have a period recipe for stuffed mushrooms? I sure would like to find one.

Wow, just wow. I would not consider your response out of line. The two of them were really unnecessarily snippy.

They could easily have said, "Thanks for the information. Our feasts aren't period and we enjoy honey butter."

I am so sorry they dumped their loads on you, Stefan. Also, that guy doesn't seem to be much of a "culinary historian". He dropped himself right into the old "blue jeans" argument:
If indigo dye is period, and cotton is period, and twill weave is period, then they could have / probably had blue jeans [NOT].

They sure cannot stand up even the mildest a critique... and you were not being critical, Stefan.

Urtatim
catching up on a back log of digests