[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 125, Issue 21

Cassandra Baldassano euriol66 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 15:01:55 PDT 2016

My approach to something like this would be along the lines of:

Random SCA person: Great feast! Blah, blah, blah, Honey Butter, blah.

Me: Honey butter? I have been searching for a period honey butter recipe.
Can you share the resource where you found the recipe?

Random SCA person: I don't have a period recipe (or insert whatever comment
they might make)

Me: Oh well. Thank you. If you come across a resource would you please let
me know.

The reason I would use this approach is because it is hard to prove
something didn't happen, or didn't exist. Especially with recipes. It goes
along the line of , if they had it they would have done it. What we know is
that we don't have any evidence as of the current time whether or not a
recipe may have existed. So this approach doesn't imply that something
doesn't exist, but gives us opportunity to ask for the evidence.

Euriol