[Sca-cooks] Soaking Semalina

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Sep 23 18:57:21 PDT 2016

Susan brought to my attention the fact that there is a bread recipe in
Fadalat. What I have is an English translation of a Spanish translation
of the Arabic original.

The recipe starts by telling you to soak semalina. Checking the Spanish,
the word is remoja, which translates as to soak or to steep. The
question is what does it mean.

I tried soaking 2c of semolina in 2c of water, with the idea of
straining out most of the water and then adding enough to make kneadable
dough. I was only able to extract about 1/2c of water, which left
something much too wet to knead. Possibilities:

1. A mistranslation of the Arabic

2. The word means to dampen. I should add less water than I would use to
make dough, let it sit for a while, then add the rest of the dough and
the sourdough.

3. There is a better way of extracting water than putting the dough in a
cloth and squeezing.

4. You are supposed to soak the semolina, then spread it out to dry,
then use it. But the recipe says nothing at all about drying it or
extracting water.

Suggestions?

--
David Friedman