[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 12:35:47 PDT 2016

>  David Friedman wrote:
>
> Part I
>
>> Sometimes I gave up and published them as is true to the original
>> text. Then I started to feel like I owed my readers a recipe on which
>> they could depend. As of to date I have over1,000 blogs published so I
>> don?t remember each and every one but most of the recipes did turn out
>> pretty well for a non-professional I think.

> Having the recipes turn out well is one requirement. But if what you
> have is not a period recipe but a recipe you have invented with a few
> features in common with a period recipe, telling people it is a period
> recipe misleads them. If the best you can manage is "we know they had
> things of this sort and here is a thing of this sort they could have
> made" you use that, but then you have to make it clear to others that
> that is what it is.

Since I was criticized by an SCA reader, when I have a recipe that is not based on a specific medieval manuscript, it is stated - like "Emma Cohen’s" or "the Medieval Spanish Chef’s" etc. I do not believe I am misleading people. Take for instance fried testicles. Ok there is not MS recipe that I have found to date but I think it is elementary that they were fried.

Since I was criticized for not publishing the original recipe of those I used, I am publishing it. The reader can check me to verify if I am sticking to the original and if not what the variations might be. Please tell me what discrepancies you might have.