[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Mon Sep 26 12:42:50 PDT 2016

"whipple" is a transliteration of "w-i-b-l". Plenty of Arabic words
begin with that phoneme, but more often than not it's just the Arabic
word for "and", which attaches itself to the beginning of words in much
the same way the Latin -que attaches to the end of words. So it's "and
i-b-l". "i-b-l" is a form of the verb "b-l", which means "moisten" or
"make damp". Thus, the first few words are "Take semolina and moisten,
and... [something I haven't figured out yet] salt in it..."

-- Galefridus