[Sca-cooks] A History of Royal Food and Feasting

Elise Fleming alyskatharine at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 12:23:43 PDT 2016

Greetings! The University of Reading (UK), in conjunction with Historic
Royal Palaces, is repeating the course “A History of Royal Food and
Feasting” (https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/royal-food/1).

This is a free online course (MOOC) which begins on 31 October and lasts
for 5 weeks. Each week a different English monarch will be presented
along with one of the royal palaces. You work at your own pace and can
work ahead of the schedule or catch up in a week or so if you’ve missed
a session. There are no tests, although there are quizzes to help
clarify areas you might want to investigate. No one grades those and
they don’t “count”! Two or more recipes are presented each week for you
to try, but if you don’t cook or have the ingredients, there is no
problem, although preparing a dish gives an additional flair to the
experience!

 From their website: “Over five weeks, you’ll explore the history of
royal food through the tastes of five key monarchs, and take an intimate
look behind the scenes at some of the most incredible palaces in England:
1. Henry VIII at Hampton Court
2. Elizabeth I at the Tower of London
3. George I at Hampton Court Palace
4. George III at Kew Palace
5. Victoria at Kensington Palace

“Each week, you’ll be invited to do things like these:
*Cook royal recipes: from Tudor pies to Georgian chocolate, prison food
to afternoon tea, you’ll get a cooking challenge to try at home, so you
can eat like royalty.
*Get scientific: you’ll explore the flavor, nutritional value and
medicinal benefits of royal food past and present, and investigate which
era enjoyed the healthiest and tastiest diet.
*Hone your investigative skills and powers of deduction; you’ll evaluate
evidence, artifacts and science to draw your own conclusions about royal
food in different eras.
*Discover some surprising facts; we’ll share riveting tales and
challenge some common misconceptions about palaces, monarchs, and their
impact on dietary tastes today.
*Share your findings with thousands of people around the world: you’ll
debate your opinions and compare experiences with expert mentors and
other learners.”

You can find out more details in their FAQ:
https://about.futurelearn.com/about/faq/?category=course-sign-up-and-completion

In the last session there were some 195 SCA members who participated out
of the more than 10,000 who signed up. Participants came from all
continents and, for most of them, this was new information, learning
something about the monarchs, their time period, and the foods the
monarchs would have eaten. Even though I was very familiar with the
monarchs and the palaces, I found the course to be fascinating,
stimulating, and often challenging. I even prepared a dish I never would
have – and my neighbors have requested me to repeat it!

Please feel free to copy this to a group newsletter or e-list. Share it
as widely as you like. It would be nice to have another groups of
SCAdians take this free course!

Alys Katharine
--
Elise Fleming