[Sca-cooks] Yeast and Bread in Norway

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Aug 28 18:22:12 PDT 2017

I completely forgot about the Eddas, which, though recorded in Iceland, are
 generally treated as reflecting early Germanic/Scandinavian culture.

p. 78 " Then Edda from the  ashes took a loaf, heavy and thick, and with
bran mixed; more besides she laid on  the

middle of the board;"

Being thick, probably leavened, and mixed with bran, probably  of wheat.
But I would guess it was leavened with sourdough (not being  light).

p. 79 "She then took thin cakes of snow white wheat, and on the  table
laid."

These sound very much like flatbread.

http://fax.libs.uga.edu/PT7234xE211/1f/the_eddas.pdf

jC