[Sca-cooks] raw egg yolks

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Feb 11 15:23:02 PST 2017

Without the recipe, it's hard to tell precisely what can be done.  A method
of pasteurizing egg yolks to add to a recipe calling for raw egg yolk is to
take a minimum of two tablespoons of liquid per egg yolk mix them together
and bring the resulting mix in a HEAVY sauce pan to 160 degrees F over very
low heat (or the mixture coats a metal spoon or it bubbles at the edges).
To little liquid or causing the mix to heat too rapidly produces scrambled
eggs.  I've only done this once, so you may need to experiment.

To do this for a cheese dish without additional liquid, I would try to use
the milk from which the cheese is made.

Bear

I am looking at some of the recipes for cheese, and some of them call
for mixing raw egg yolk into the finished cheese before serving.  I am
not sure I want to risk salmonella - does anyone have any ideas of a way
around this?

Katherine Slough