[Sca-cooks] raw egg yolks

The Eloquent Page books at TheEloquentPage.com
Tue Feb 14 13:12:28 PST 2017

I have found the missing recipe.  (My husband helpfully put away all my
reference books last week, and I have been searching for the recipe ever
since.)

Gervase Markham The English Hous-wife

To make an excellent fresh cheese, take
To make fresh a pottle of milk as it comes from the Cow ,
Cheese. an d a pj n t of cream : then take a spoonful
of runnet or earning, and put it unto it, and let it stand
two houres : then stir it up, and put it into a fine cloath,
and let the Whey drain from it : then put it into a bowl,
and take the yolk of an Egg, a spoonfull of Rosewater,
and bray them together with a very little Salt, with
Sugar and Nutmegs, and when all these are brayed
together, and searst, mix it with the curd, and then put
it in the Cheese-fat with a very fine cloth.

It is added after  the cooking stage, so I don't see what would make it
safe to eat.  Opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Katherine