[Sca-cooks] raw egg yolks

The Eloquent Page books at TheEloquentPage.com
Wed Feb 15 14:51:50 PST 2017

I have made some basic cheeses, so the milk is ok.  It's the egg yolk that was worrying me.  I can't see anything which would make the egg yolk safe.  It's certainly not a cheese you could keep, wit the raw egg yolk in it.  I was just wondering if someone had come across a similar recipe.  Sometimes there is an important bit missing.

Katherine

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017
From: Donna Green  <donnaegeren at yahoo.com>
To:sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org

Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] raw egg yolks
Katherine,
I don't know if you've done any cheese making. If you have, you'll know this already, but if not ... raw milk will clot into curds all on its own if you give it time. Pasteurized milk will need calcium chloride added along with the rennet to get curds. Raw milk is, obviously, the period choice, but the availability varies widely from state to state. If you can get it I recommend you use that for this experiment if you want to try for as close to period as possible.
As for your egg yolks, find a farmer (farmer's market, CSA, etc.) you trust, and just use the eggs. I've never had a problem using raw egg yolks. Just warn any tasters of what they're getting so they can make their own choices.
Juana Isabella