[Sca-cooks] taro, ginger beer etc.

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 20:28:40 PST 2017

Urtatim replied to me with:
<<< Taro, colocasia esculenta, qulqas in Arabic, appears in nearly every medieval Arabic-language cookbook i have seen, including some not yet translated into English, from ibn Sayyar al-Qarraq's 10th c. collection of 9th and 10th c. recipes from Baghdad to 13th c. cookbooks from al-Andalus, to cookbooks from Mamluk Egypt (1270-1600).>>>

Wow. A lot more widespread than I thought and apparently more used. I'd only really heard it associated with the SW Pacific islands.

<<< You have some of his recipes in the Florilegium under the Spanish spelling "Tugibi", in which "fat" is translated as *lard*, something no Muslim would ever touch. >>>

Oh! Is this in some of the Spanish manuscripts? If so, was it known in Spain or were they just talking about it being cooked in other cultures? Is the translation wrong to call it "lard" or is the original Spanish(?) wrong?

<<< My translation is still in rough form. Once i get the whole book translated, i'll be smoothing out all the translations. >>>

What are your plans for it when you complete it?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com