[Sca-cooks] Andalusian cuisine

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 23 20:01:36 PST 2017

As i've said, i'm working on translating the Fadalat al-Khiwan, a 13th c. Andalusian cookbook. I've finished 5 of the 6 parts of Section 2 on meat of quadrupeds; Section 3 on meat of fowl; Section 5, part 2 on Eggs; Section 6 on dairy, cheese, and butter; Section 7 on vegetables; Section 8 on Legumes; Section 9 on Sweets; Section 10 on pickles and preserved items, olives, pressing oil, making murri (only 2 more murri recipes to go, out of 14); Section 11, part 1, Qadid (like jerky) and part 2 on Locusts, Prawns, and Snails; and Section 12 on Ushnan, hand-cleaners.

I still have to do Section 1, the multi-part chapter on breads and tharidas); Section 2, part 2 on mutton; Section 4 on Tripes and Stuffed Stomach (basically haggis, but no oats); Section 5, part 1 on Fish...

Adamantius commented that in a previous discussion of the so-called anonymous Andalusian, also of the 13th c., it was mentioned that it had recipes from before the Islamic (primarily Berber/ Imazighen) conquest. I was wondering if anyone remembers that discussion and can point those out to me.

Also there are some significant differences between the Fadalat and the anon. Andal. which i'm looking forward to analyzing.

Thanks,
Urtatim