[Sca-cooks] malt sugar

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:19:12 PST 2017

<<< If it's of interest I have a few 6th century recipes for malt sugar from
China. >>>

Yes, please.

Does malt sugar show up in medieval Europe? Why is it sweet? I assume that it isn't as sweet as honey or sugar.

I can imagine it being used in industrial food processing, like corn syrup and such creations. But how was it used in medieval Europe or China?

Can it be processed like sugar cane syrup to produce a crystalized sugar?

Is this the same sugar that the microbes digest to make beer?

When you add malt to make a malted milk, is that to add sweetness? Or just a malt taste?
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris