[Sca-cooks] malt sugar

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Feb 24 23:19:46 PST 2017

Malt sugar is maltose, a disaccharide formed from two molecules.  It's a
product of amylase breaking down starch.  Maltase breaks the maltose into
its component glucose molecules.  It's produced when one malts grain or
ferments flour, so it is common to baking and brewing.

Some of the references I've seen suggest Chinese malt sugar was a form of
liquid malt extract (produced by condensing a beer wort to treacle).  Malt
extract can be dehydrated to produce a crystalline powder similar to sugar.
Primarily, it would have been a sweetener.

In Europe, the process of making malt extract appears to begin in the 18th
Century as a means to brew beer on long voyages to combat scurvy.

Malted milk is a powdered combination of nondiastatic (no active enzymes)
malt, wheat flour and evaporated milk.  It's strictly a flavoring agent.

Bear

<<< If it's of interest I have a few 6th century recipes for malt sugar from
China. >>>

Yes, please.

Does malt sugar show up in medieval Europe? Why is it sweet? I assume that
it isn't as sweet as honey or sugar.

I can imagine it being used in industrial food processing, like corn syrup
and such creations. But how was it used in medieval Europe or China?

Can it be processed like sugar cane syrup to produce a crystalized sugar?

Is this the same sugar that the microbes digest to make beer?

When you add malt to make a malted milk, is that to add sweetness? Or just a
malt taste?
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris