[Sca-cooks] Cameline and genet

Daniel Myers dmyers at medievalcookery.com
Thu Jul 20 09:17:41 PDT 2017

Most of the cameline recipes I've seen call for a number of spices.

 Du fait de cuisine: cinnamon, ginger, grains of paradise, cloves, pepper, mace, nutmeg
Le Menagier de Paris: ginger, cinnamon, saffron, nutmeg
Le Viandier de Taillevent: ginger, cinnamon, grains of paradise, mastic thyme, long pepper
 Libre del Coch: cinnamon
 Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books: cinnamon, ginger, cloves
Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books: cinnamon, ginger, cloves, saffron
Liber cure cocorum: cinnamon, ginger, cloves
Forme of Cury: cinnamon, ginger, cloves
A Noble Boke off Cookry: cinnamon, ginger, powder lombard, mustard, saffron
 Due Libri di Cucina: cloves, ginger, grains of paradise, nutmeg, cinnamon
Neapolitan recipe collection: cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg

I've heard of genet sauce before but can't find any recipes on a quick search.  Could it be another name for a jance sauce?

Garlic Jance [Sauce]. Crush ginger, garlic and almonds, steep in good verjuice, [and boil]. (BN manuscript, p. 34.) [Le Viandier de Taillevent (France, ca. 1380 - James Prescott, trans.)]

- Doc

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: [Sca-cooks] Cameline and genet