[Sca-cooks] Cameline and genet

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Thu Jul 20 18:01:52 PDT 2017

 From Van Cammeren's Glossary
(http://users.telenet.be/willy.vancammeren/NBC/nbc_glossary.htm):

genestine	Romeins sausrecept: saffraan, eidooiers en amandelpoeder
doorgedaan met verjus. De naam houdt verband met de gele kleur, de kleur
van brem (Latijn: genista)

Roman sauce recipe: saffron, egg yolks and grounded almonds mixed with
verjus. The name is derived from the yellow color of broom (Latin: genista).

My note:

An early French spelling of 'genista' (broom) is 'genêt' (see Greimas
dictionary).  I would agree with Van Cammeren's conclusion.  Compare
this Van Cammeren recipe with the one in the link given earlier by Jim.

In Service to the Dream,
Thorvald