[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 134, Issue 1

Cindy Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Fri Jun 2 14:04:55 PDT 2017

Ye olde hot stone dropped in the pot? Burying a dutch oven in pit full of hot coals?

As a former Mtn. Freeholder, I know how cold & windy Vermont can get. A wind-break around your pot and/or fire-pit is essential to building up & maintaining heat in anything you’re cooking outdoors. A sunshade erected using only 2 poles can be made to serve for this, or wetted hay bales, if you’re careful of the fire.  A hot brazier inside a large tent will choke you on fumes if you fail to leave a side of the tent open for ventilation. (The voice of experience.)

Since you’ll have power, does that mean you will also have access to a kitchen?  If so, and to maintain the illusion, you could heat the drink indoors in small pots for the sake of speedy heating & refill a serving cauldron outdoors? If you have no kitchen, I’d go with Johnna’s idea of using electric coffee urns. Do a test batch to see how long it takes to heat each one.

At that time & place I’d go with what’s in season & readily available —— hot apple cider.  Put a few cinnamon sticks in it, and you’re all set.

HTH,
Cindy Renfrow

> On Jun 2, 2017, at 12:07 PM, sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
<snip>