[Sca-cooks] Help! hot beverage problem

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Jun 3 10:04:02 PDT 2017

Aside from hot water, the one Western hot drink I know of from the period
is the chaudeau/chaudel/caudle, which however is very differently defined by
 different writers (all of whom I suspect of guessing). The word itself
means  "hot water" (chaud eau), but the drink was served to newlyweds and so
probably  was more interesting than that. One guess is sweetened milk mixed
with  eggs:

https://books.google.com/books?id=5ABaAAAAMAAJ&q=chaudel+boisson&dq=chaudel+
boisson&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC2uq0kqLUAhXnyoMKHd5vDHM4ZBDoAQgwMAE

Another is a mixture of oatmeal, broth, spices, ale, etc
https://books.google.com/books?id=d6xaJWJFe1QC&lpg=PA100&dq=caudle%20drink&p
g=PA100#v=onepage&q&f=false

Otherwise, cider was known in Normandy by the fifteenth century and
lemonade by the seventeenth and one could serve either hot, even with spices.
Certainly hot spiced cider hits the spot if it's really cold.

jC

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)