[Sca-cooks] Period Hungarian Recipes

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jun 11 15:09:18 PDT 2017

In case anyone was wondering, the earliest printed  cookbook from Hungary is Szakatz Mestersegnek Kinyvetkeje or Szakáts Mestersegnek Könyvetskéje. It’s dated 1695. Notaker indicates it has 334 recipes. It was printed originally in the part of Hungary known as Transylvania. A second edition dates from 1698. There’s a Wikipedia entry on it.

There was a modern reprint of it dated 1981.

Entry here:  https://www.libri.hu/konyv/misztotfalusi_kis_miklos.szakats-mestersegnek-konyvetskeje.html

Johnnae