[Sca-cooks] Period Hungarian Recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Jun 11 21:04:14 PDT 2017

The book you are referencing is Bela Radvanszky's Old Hungarian Cookbooks.
It contains three manuscripts.  The first is a 15th Century manuscript
currently in the Munich Library containing (if my information is correct)
notes on Czech and Hungarian and four recipes.  The second is the
"Szakáts-tudomány"  The Lore (or Science) of Cooking containing 689 recipes
by an unnamed non-Saxon Transylvanian Calvinist probably (inferred by others
from some internal references) chef and 109 dietary recipes by the physician
Janos Wecker.  Looking at Radvanszky's Table of Contents  the dietary
recipes are attributed to Janos Jakob Wecker; or Johann Jakob Wecker, the
husband of Anna Weckerin.  I'm uncertain as to which of Wecker's works are
the basis for these, but this section would not have been assembled before
1557 and possibly not until 1588 after the publication of his posthumous
cookbook.  The third manuscript is Feasts Given by Count Szaniszlo Thurzo
in January 1603.

Bear

The book is available as a digital copy of an 1893 edition on the net on
this link:
http://digitalia.lib.pte.hu/?p=2184#toc"

--
David Friedman