[Sca-cooks] "Sugared Cocoons" from Qimin Yaoshu

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed May 10 09:06:39 PDT 2017

Gardenia AKA jasmin AKA a lengthy list of other names produces a small fruit
(Gardenia jasminoides fructus) where it flowers.  Culinarily, the fruits
contain crocetin, also found in Crocus sativa, which produces the color
saffron.  Medicinally, the fruits have some glycosides that may help to bind
and excrete some toxins after ingestion.  Looking at your translation, I
would say that the goal is to color the dish saffron rather than to modify
the flavor.  There may be some religious or common belief significance to
the color, but you are more likely than I to have that answer.

Bear

Has anyone cooked anything resembling these?  Does anyone have an idea what
effect the *Gardenia jasminoides* seeds/fruits might have on the flavor?

--
Þórfinnr Hróðgeirsson