[Sca-cooks] "Sugared Cocoons" from Qimin Yaoshu

Alec Story avs38 at cornell.edu
Tue May 9 20:58:11 PDT 2017

A while back in the discussion on malt sugar, Johnna asked me to translate
the recipe for what I thought was sugar floss in addition to my other
recipes <http://brewing.alecstory.org/2017/02/a-few-cooking-recipes.html>.
It turns out that it's actually for dry-fried rice or millet noodles soaked
in syrup.

As a reminder, this is from a 544 CE farm manual from northeastern China.

http://brewing.alecstory.org/2017/05/sugared-noodles.html

Has anyone cooked anything resembling these?  Does anyone have an idea what
effect the *Gardenia jasminoides* seeds/fruits might have on the flavor?

--
Þórfinnr Hróðgeirsson