[Sca-cooks] Saffel and satula

Julia Szent-Gyorgyi jpmiaou at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 20:51:12 PST 2017

Greetings!

I'm hoping to track down a couple of words from the anonymous
late-16th century Hungarian cookbook: _saffel_ and _satula_. From
context, they're both some sort of vessel or container. Here's my
translation of the recipes where they occur:

---
A20. Pea pottage. Hull the peas, wash them well, cook them well in
water, but so that the peas are not too thin, but fairly thick, then
beat it through the copper sifter, take for the same a new saffel, and
put in that the strained peas, and from morning to noon two people
should stir it in the saffel and when you want to serve it up, add
sugar to it and pour raisin-wine on it, then when you want to properly
serve it up, sprinkle almonds on it, but cut it up finely, currants
too, comfits as well, but half the comfits should be white, half
yellow; but arrange these then in the bowl, then sprinkle it above
with sugar nicely. He should stir it with a stick like a pestle.

A50. Making a nice light garnet colored quince jelly. Peel the quince,
put it on in the iron pot, cook it well in pure wine, then when it is
cooked, take the quince out of it, put sugar in it, cook it until it
is reduced to half or one-third part, then pour this into a satula as
much as will fit, leave it in such a place where it will neither be
jostled nor be exposed to drafts, let it set, like a cold dish, you
will see, how nice and shiny it will be.
---

Has anyone encountered anything like these in some other language?

The pronunciation is ambiguous: in Hungarian, bare 's' is the /sh/
sound as in 'ship' (and in period also the /zh/ sound as in
'measure'), but if it's a loanword, the 's' could represent /s/ as in
'sip' or /z/ as in 'zip'.

I've found nothing whatsoever for _saffel_.

For _satula_, my guess is that it's a variant of modern _skatulya_
'small box', derived from Latin _castulum_ 'chest, small cabinet' via
Italian _scatula_, but none of this tells me what sort of container it
actually meant. I don't think he's pouring jelly into a shoebox or
matchbox (the primary uses of the modern word).