[Sca-cooks] Saffel and satula

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Nov 13 23:07:10 PST 2017

For A50, in that context in Ouverture (1604 Liége) we find "flat bottom
dish" and "flat pan of white iron".

No specific idea from Ouverture for A20 saffel.  A large pot or large
mortar?

Checking Rumpolt, "Zugemüß 1" has in a similar context "set with the
mortar on the fire and crush continuously", which does suggest a mortar.
  "Zugemüß 8" and "Zugemüß 9" also use a mortar for peas, though the
contexts are slightly different.  "Zugemüß 11" has "fish kettle" in a
similar context.

James / Thorvald