[Sca-cooks] (Yet) another translation question: cooking hard versus cooking well

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Oct 1 07:22:10 PDT 2017

In this case, the "?" represents an "e" with an acute accent mark above it,
which means the two words are pronounced differently, making them two
different words in the spoken language.  Their actual relationship depends
on the etymology, which is unavailable to use.  Most of the translation
programs ignore the accent marks, so it can be very confusing.

That said, the problem you are having is most probably in the Unicode
translation tables on your computer.  If you want to check, pull up
http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org/2017-September/001964.html
.  That is a message from Julia with the word nádméz about half way down the
text.  If the word shows up without "?" then it is most likely a problem
with the translation tables in the digest software.  If you still get "?"
then the problem is (most probably) in the translation table on your
computer in which case, you need to check to see if the translation tables
in your operating system can be updated.  An additional point is even if you
have the most current OS with the most recent Unicode tables, they may not
be selected or are being used with back-level application software that
doesn't use them.

Bear

Julia Szent-Gyorgyi <jpmiaou at gmail.com> said:
<<< No, chimney is _k?m?ny_. Different word than _kem?ny_. >>>

They look the same to me. :-(

Unfortunately, I've had the same problem with most of what you've written.
I've had this problem before. I think the digestifier that turns the list
messages into digests, doesn't recognize or translate all fonts well.

I went to the digest version because at one time this list had a very high
volume, often 3 to 5 digests per day. Now, unfortunately, most traffic seems
to have moved to facebook. :-( Maybe it's time to change back to regular
mode.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com