[Sca-cooks] Trying again: introduction and questions

Julia Szent-Gyorgyi jpmiaou at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 16:00:03 PDT 2017

When I last checked the list archives, the most recent update was Sep.
11. Granted, that was a few days ago.

Gmail keeps filing posts to this list as spam -- something about
coming from Yahoo but failing Yahoo's verifications. (I have my Gmail
interface set to Hungarian. The technojargon doesn't improve on
translation.) I wonder if that has anything to do with my
apparently-lost-in-the-ether first post.

So back to topic: one of my questions in said post was about literal
versus functional translations.

The example at hand is _nádméz_, which is literally 'cane-honey', but
means 'sugar'. The "honey" in the name only refers to the sweetening
properties; it doesn't say anything about the consistency. Imported
cane sugar in Hungary was exactly the same as in the rest of Europe: a
solid (often in a cone-shaped loaf). Recipes often call for scraping
it on.

I can bypass most of this discursion by simply translating the word as
"sugar", with a footnote about the literal-by-parts meaning for the
recipe where it says "but the regular kind of honey is good, too."

Any thoughts or input on this decision? Which would you rather have in
a translated recipe: "cane-honey" (plus a footnote/glossary entry) or
"sugar"?

Julia
/\ /\