[Sca-cooks] Platina recipe?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Oct 4 16:34:53 PDT 2017

I pulled this from a facsimile copy of Platina.  Hopefully I got the
spelling correct.  No translation, my copy of Milham is walkabout.

Cíbaríum ex píso.

Pisum cum filiqua femel ebulliat factio. Exemptu
aqua frixorio cum tessellis carnis salite (er cius
maxime, que macro pinguiq; distinguitur) indes. Velim
tamen ipsas tesselas modicum prius effrixisse.  Addito
deinde parum agrestae, modicum sapae, aut faccari,
cinnami nonnibil.  Hoc item modo et fasèolos cogto.

You'll find the recipe in Book VII.

The translation you have quoted is from Evelyn Bloch-Dano's Vegetables:  A
Biography.

Bear

Has anyone ever seen this recipe - or anything like it - in Platina?

"PLATINA’S RECIPE FOR FASÉOLES
Boil the peas with their pods and salt only once, then remove them from the
water; fry a few nice slices and bits of bacon that is neither too fatty nor
too lean. Next, add the peas and fry everything together. Finally, add a
little vinegar with some cooked or sweetened wine must, and this is how you
prepare faséoles"

I've checked both the Latin and the French editions and see no sign of it.
Not to mention how strange it is to talk about preparing faseoles for a
recipe for peas and bacon.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com