[Sca-cooks] Platina recipe?

James Chevallier jimcheval at aol.com
Fri Oct 6 10:59:45 PDT 2017

Hmmm... This does indeed appear to be substantially the same recipe. But in different words, which leaves the mystery of how the author got the exact version used (which is more discursive: "bacon that is neither too fatty nor too lean".).

At least this clarifies the note "this is how you prepare faséoles". It should say "And this is ALSO how..."

Thanks, Bear.

More accurately, it is Martino.  Most of the recipes in Platina are Latin
translations of Martino.

A transcription of Martino from Thomas Gloning's website gives:

Piselli fricti in carne salata.

Piglia i piselli con le scorze como stanno, et fagli dare un bo
glio. Et togli carne salata vergellata et tagliala in fette sottili et
longhe mezo dito et frigele un pocho. Et dapoi mitti li ditti
peselli accocere con la ditta carne. Et ponevi un pocho de agresto, un
pocha de sapa, overo zuccharo, et un pocha di canella. Et similemente
se frigono li fascioli.

The Parzen translation is:

Fried Peas with Salt-Cured Meat

Take some unshelled peas and boil.  Take some marbled salt-cured meat and
thinly slice into pieces half the size of your finger and lightly fry; add
the peas to the salt-cured meat.  Add a little verjuice, some sodden wine,
or some sugar, and a bit of cinnamon.  Beans can also be fried in a similar
manner.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

[...]

I haven't done this particular recipe, but I have a bag of unshelled peas in
the freezer to experiment with it for a possible Martino feast.  I have done
a similar recipe from an English source.  And the recipe is similar to how I
have prepared green beans for fifty years.

Bear

I think that's Scappi, not Platina.--don't have a hand on it right now, but
when I did a Scappi based feast, I did peas with almost exactly that recipe.

toodles, margaret