[Sca-cooks] Browet of Almayne in Utilis Coquinario

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Dec 18 18:52:28 PST 2018

Excuse the delay in my response. Not sure if this will help or hinder the process.

When we did the Concordance of English Recipes Thirteenth through Fifteen Centuries, we
came up with 15 variations of the Brewet of Almayne recipes.

So there are a number of these recipes scattered throughout the medieval texts.

Does it matter that MS BL Sloane 468 or  Utilis Coquinario" (UC) is dated 1395, and the

other variations you mention seem to be later.

LCC is dated 1460

Ar 334 is dated 1425

NBC is dated 1475

 John Crophill's Commonplace Book (MS Harleian 1735)

British Library dates as 2nd or 3rd quarter of the 15th century or 1425-1475.

Johnna