[Sca-cooks] Browet of Almayne in Utilis Coquinario

Alexander Clark alexbclark8 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 09:33:43 PST 2018

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 21:52:28 -0500, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

Excuse the delay in my response. Not sure if this will help or hinder the
> process.
>
> When we did the Concordance of English Recipes Thirteenth through Fifteen
> Centuries, we
> came up with 15 variations of the Brewet of Almayne recipes.
>
> So there are a number of these recipes scattered throughout the medieval
> texts.
>
> Does it matter that MS BL Sloane 468 or  Utilis Coquinario" (UC) is dated
> 1395, and the
>
> other variations you mention seem to be later.
>
> LCC is dated 1460
>
> Ar 334 is dated 1425
>
> NBC is dated 1475
>
>  John Crophill's Commonplace Book (MS Harleian 1735)
>
> British Library dates as 2nd or 3rd quarter of the 15th century or
> 1425-1475.

The way it looks to me, the UC recipe ought to be a copy, which makes the
original older. So all the others, being newer than UC, must be newer than
the original.  The time scale seems (to me) credible for a single family of
versions.

BTW I suspect that both of the Ar 334 recipes are related to each other.

And speaking of NBC, what should I be looking up for a recent edition
thereof?

--
Henry/Alex