[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Recipe redaction, A Type of Ahrash

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jul 7 05:55:44 PDT 2018

Ah, but they are milk fed, up to almost a year old.  The diet in the U.S. is
most often a vitamin fortified mix of formula and soy products.  More meat,
eh.

The problem is there is no precise terminology for marketing veal in world
trade.  They more meat, the more money.  Since a calf can put on 40 to 50
pounds per week, the longer the time frame for "veal" the better for the
pocket book.  None of that foolishness about slaughtering a calf around one
month for veal, as was the case in less enlightened times.

The key commercial difference is between white and red veal.  White veal is
from calves fed on formula and generally slaughtered earlier.  Red veal is
from calves fed on grass or grain in addition to formula.

Bear

I don’t know how true it is, but I was always taught that lamb and kid are
under one year (up to 10-12 months). Veal is suckling beef. As soon it is it
is no longer milk-fed, it is not veal.

Dagmar

Sent from my iPhone
Ours is not to rewrite history; but to learn from it to improve the future.