[Sca-cooks] Date for battered deep-fried stuff

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Jul 30 23:01:37 PDT 2018

Thanks everyone for the additional information.  To summarize so far:

It is clear (at least to me and Prof. Scully) that frying in non-trivial
amounts of fat is period.  Whether or not using a large amount of fat
counts as "deep frying" can be debated, since nowhere that I have seen
so far does any cook specify any depth of fat.  There is the fairly
clear implication that in some cases the fat is deep enough that the
fritters can float in the fat (e.g. V.136 "Often they roll over by
themselves" and "... take them out with a holed spoon").  Prof. Scully
uses the phrase "deep-frying" (footnote 134.3 on page 495), and I think
that I would also venture to use it.

Similarly, Scappi recipe V.146 in which a hot iron is dipped into batter
and then into hot fat implies a sufficient depth of fat for the iron to
go in completely without touching bottom.

Brighid points to de Nola 'swimming' ("nadando") which again implies a
non-trivial depth of fat.

Most of the items deep-fried in this way seem to be simply batter
fritters of some kind, perhaps with other ingredients, but still
basically batter.

Thanks to Johnnae's comment on Scappi, which led me to Scappi V.141
which I would suggest is indeed something (cooked chicken with other
stuff) coated in a batter and fried in plenty of fat (i.e. what I would
call deep-fried).  The chicken is pre-cooked, which might move it some
distance from some interpretations of deep frying.

Basilius, are the Banchetti recipes with deep-frying available anywhere?

The Martino fish fritters could be in a frying pan with a relatively
small amount of fat.  Similarly for the Book of Cookrye recipes, the
Transylvanian recipes, Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books, Ouverture,
and others.

Thorvald