[Sca-cooks] Nosewis

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu May 24 08:54:59 PDT 2018

Because I can't find a distinct definition, I believe this is a compound
word.  Since this is a Court function, the language is probably Anglo-Norman
French from the period where Anglo-Norman French and Middle English were
being replaced by Early Modern English.

"Nose" is a variant Anglo-Norman spelling for the French "nois" derived from
the Latin "nux" meaning nut.  "Wis" does not describe any specific nut.  The
closest possible word that I've been able to locate is "viz" a variant
spelling of "vie" (life, alive, living) which can be translated as
sustenance.

Bear

Does anyone here know what the "Nosewis" in the coronation menu for Richard
III might be?  From the context I would guess that it was supposed to mean
a kind of fruit, such as dates, quinces, or pears.

--
Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon