[Sca-cooks] Nosewis

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu May 24 09:02:51 PDT 2018

The MED says

nǒteie (n.)

[From nǒte n.(1).]

A dish composed of ground pork or capon, spices, and other ingredients, garnished with blanched, fried nuts.

a1450  Hrl.Cook.Bk.(1) (Hrl 279) <https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/hyp-idx?type=id&id=hyp.1470.19991101T123123>   31:  Noteye. Take a gret porcyoun of Haselle leuys, & grynd in a morter..Mylke of Almaundys..Fleysshe of Porke or of Capoun..smal notys, & breke hem; take þe kyrnellys & make hem whyte..plante þer-with þin mete.

nǒte (n.(1)) Also nōte, not(te, noute, nouthe, nothte, (S & K) nhote, (error) notee, an ote & nute, nut(te, nuth, (S & SM) nhut(te, (early) hnutu; pl. notes, etc. & noten, (early pl. gen.) hnutena, (pl. dat.) hnutum.

[ OE <https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med-idx?type=byte&byte=125800627&egdisplay=compact&egs=125820548#> hnutu]

1.

(a) A nut; also, the kernel of a nut; cluster of notes; housinge of a ~, a nutshell;

Johnnae