[Sca-cooks] European squash/pumpkin/gourd?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Oct 17 23:54:19 PDT 2018

Greetings,

On 2018-10-17, 13:55, Julia Szent-Gyorgyi wrote:
> Quoth Thorvald:
>>    There is one distantly possible in the Transylvanian cookbook (c. 1600).
> That's one of the ones I included in my question. What do you consider
> it "distantly possible" for, and why?

By "distantly possible" I mean for the recipe to be specifically for new
world 'squash' rather than for one of the old world possibilities.

This is just my personal assessment, I have not done any detailed study,
and could be wrong.  I base my assessment on the physical distance from
Spain; transportation complications for fruits or plants especially to
inland areas; and the general culinary differences between more western
European countries and more eastern European countries which would have,
I assess, moderated and delayed the transfer of recipes and ingredient
use from west to east (and vice versa).  I read your third edition with
fascination at the similarities and differences from the more western
European cookbooks with which I am most familiar.  One example is "we
don’t do that and it is frowned upon, for our ancestors didn’t do that",
suggesting a cuisine much less ready to accept new recipes or
ingredients from elsewhere than most of the more western European cookbooks.

Many of the recipes post 1492 have similarities with pre 1492 recipes
that must have originally been for old world vegetables.  We probably
can never know how many cooks had unhindered access to the new world
'squashes', and how many either chose to, or were forced to, use the old
world options.

Thorvald