[Sca-cooks] Tailliz was The Rock

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Sep 17 18:07:53 PDT 2018

I haven't abandoned this list, but I haven't been posting either.  This year
has been real, but not nice.

Anyway, I have been preparing for the Feast of St. Golias on October 27th.
It's St. Golias's 40th Anniversary and I'm doing a Cook's tour of four
different cuisines from four different centuries.  The second course is
French 14th Century using Taillevent and Menagier.  I'm using Tailliz de
Karesne from Taillevent as one of the recipes.

Tailliz de Karesne: Lenten Slices. Grind skinned almonds very well in a
mortar, then take lukewarm boiled water, steep the almonds, strain them and
boil this milk on a few coals; take one- or two-day-old cracknels and cut
them into small pieces the size of large dice; then take figs, dates and
seedless grapes, cut up the figs and dates like the cracknels, and drop
everything into the milk and let it become as thick as Frumenty, and add in
sugar to boil with it; the almond milk should boil briefly. To give it
colour you should use saffron to colour it the same as Frumenty. Salt it
lightly

Quick Blender Almond Milk

Take 8 oz. (240 g.) blanched slivered almonds.  Pulverize them in a blender.
Add 2 cups (480 g.) boiling water.  Liquefy them, holding down on the lid of
the blender.  (The pressure blowback can be spectacular and use a towel to
hold the lid against the boiling water.)  Strain the milk to remove any
large particles.  The almond use can be immediately or refrigerated for
several days.

Tailliz de Karesne

Almond milk from the above recipe
Sugar         96 g  (1/2 cup)
Figs           90 g  (about 8 Turkish figs, 3/4 cup, diced)
Dates        90 g   (3/4 cup, diced)
Raisins      90 g   (3/4 cup)
2-3 slices of bread crust trimmed and diced (90-110 g)

Heat the almond milk in a sauce pan on the stovetop
Stir in the sugar
Bring to just boiling, reduce the heat.
Add figs, dates and raisins, then add the bread crumbs.  Stir, mashing the
bread crumbs  to form a mush.
When the almond milk is absorbed, the mush can be served in individual
dessert cups, or packed into small loaf pan or jelly roll pan to cool and
jell.  I use a little butter to grease the pans and facilitate removal.
When cool, the loaf or sheet can be removed from the pan and cut into
slices.

This is a truly lovely bread pudding.  Easy to make and tasty either hot or
cold.

Enjoy.

Bear

Well, I got sucked into Facebookland, but I've missed the regular
inspiration of this list. The group on FB is good, but there's so much
other stuff around it, it's hard to remember it's there.

I propose that we make a concerted effort to revive this list! I missed
silly season!

Liutgard