[Sca-cooks] Chinese Sharbets (Was The Rock)

Alec Story avs38 at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 20 07:09:11 PDT 2018

Since you asked me to share...

Here's what I've been working on:
https://brewing.alecstory.org/2018/07/two-thirst-waters-for-pennsic.html -
there are some posts immediately before it exploring other examples.

Last weekend I bought 72 pounds of zinfandel grapes to make wine with (and
hauled them back on the bus, because this is my life, apparently), and I've
reserved a few cups of unfermented juice to make a sharbet:

"""
Grape Thirst-Water
Take some quantity of fresh grapes.  Crush them and strain off the dregs so
that it’s clean.  Boil over a slow fire.  Use thickness as a signal.  Take
it out and store it in a clean stoneware vessel.  By no means put it in a
copper or iron vessel.  If the grapes are [already] cooked, you may not use
them.  When done, you may make wine with it.  When the time approaches,
consider adding refined honey and rosewood [Dalbergia hupeana, D.
odorifera, or sandalwood Santalum album] powder, and a little borneol and
musk.
"""

I'm considering just saying "heck with it" and using an aluminum pot,
although it's really interesting that the recipe admonishes you to not use
metal.  I probably need to do this soon before the refrigerated juice
starts to go off, and may not have time to go shopping for something more
appropriate.

- Þórfinnr