[Sca-cooks] white sausages

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Feb 11 14:17:41 PST 2019

Boudin appears to derive from the Latin "botellus"  (meaning "small
sausage") a diminutive of "botulus" which may mean "sausage, blood sausage,
or entrails" depending on context.  The Old French "boudin" appears to
enters Middle English via Norman French as "pudding," specifically as "black
pudding" or blood sausage.  Over time the term pudding expands to a range of
sweet and savory dishes some no longer packed in a sausage casing.  The
usage for both pudding and boudin expanded into a general usage with the
meaning more precisely defined by context or modifiers.  Ergo, boudin blanc
and boudin noir, etc.  There is an close historical overlap of about 300
years between Old French and Middle English.  Unfortunately I don't have the
etymologic dictionaries available to delve into the contextual definitions
in Old French although I suspect they may closely relate to those of
"botulus."

Bear

This is a question I've been asking myself for year. Normally "boudin" is
blood sausage. Why do they still call it "boudin", and not simply
"sausage", if there's no blood (as in boudin blanc)?