[Sca-cooks] Beef with Garlic Harvester Sauce - A Transylvanian Recipe.

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Feb 15 18:32:42 PST 2019

Okay, I've made my first cut at a beef recipe from The Science of Cooking.

(3) BEEF WITH GARLIC HARVESTER SAUCE

Do the same. What we call garlic harvest sauce, as I said, is that you beat
eggs in vinegar, peel the garlic clove by clove, break it well, add it to
the eggs and vinegar; then dilute it as I said before. Break it well with
the blanching stick after adding liquid, be careful to keep it from
shrinking.

The beef roast (1 lb.) was moist roasted in a covered pot with 1/2 Cup of
water to 170 F.  I set the meat to rest, whisked the drippings to break
loose anything sticking to the pan, then decanted roughly 3/4 C of diluted
drippings.

Garlic Harvester Sauce

2 eggs room temperature
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
Drippings or 1 Cup beef Broth
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced fine

Cool the drippings to 100 - 110 F
Whisk the eggs into the vinegar
Whisk the minced garlic into the egg mixture
Whisk the drippings into the egg mixture.
Warm on low heat while whisking regularly.  As it warms, the sauce will
slowly thicken.
Try to maintain the mixture around 120 F.  The eggs will coagulate around
140 F, curdling the sauce.  Even if you can keep the temperature down, some
of the sauce will stick to the pan where it gets hot enough to coagulate the
proteins.  I recommend a small non-stick pan and a silicon coated whisk.

When the sauce is ready (thicker than Worcestershire, a little thinner than
A-1), slice the beef, salt and pepper it, if desired, and add the sauce.

Notes:

I enjoyed the sauce.  My wife didn't like it.  YMMV.

The sauce recipe produces enough for about a dozen servings.

For making the sauce in quantity, I think an electric skillet and a silicon
coated whisk may be the way to go.

Bear