[Sca-cooks] Beef with Garlic Harvester Sauce - A Transylvanian Recipe.

Julia Szent-Gyorgyi jpmiaou at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 19:36:12 PST 2019

My translation:

Third still from beef [literally "cow meat"]
Beef with garlic reaper sauce
Do with it likewise. For that which we call garlic reaper sauce, as I
said, you beat the eggs in vinegar, peel the garlic by the cloves,
break it well, add it to the eggy vinegar: then dilute it as I said.
Break it well with the blanching stick, then after diluting it, take
care that it doesn't curdle.
---

I think Radvánszky (the 19th century editor) may have made a
transcription or interpretation error: instead of _abárló fa_
"blanching wood" (which is basically nonsensical), I think the
original probably had a particularly obscure spelling of _habaró fa_
"whisk".

Relevant part of previous recipe ("beef with reaper sauce"):

When it has cooked, you give it its salt, and want to serve it, you
can make a small bowl's worth of reaper sauce with six or seven eggs,
you can prepare based on this, whether you want it for a large bowl or
for how many tables. When you are completely done, and want to serve,
beat the eggs well in vinegar with a clean whisk in a clean dish. The
dish should be such that the meat's juices fit on it. Beat it well, so
it doesn't curdle, pour it back on the meat, do not boil it; because
if you boil it, it will curdle, it will not be good, just pour it on
its meat, and serve it right away.

---
In  other words, I'm not sure this sauce is actually cooked: it seems
to be just barely heated.

I'm also not sure the meat is roasted. The instructions for preparing
beef are several pages back, in the introduction:

Second part of the chef's science.
When you rise in the morning, first give praise to your God, then wash
yourself well, rinse your clean pan. If you wish to cook beef, wash it
in three waters, and immediately put salt on it, but not too much,
better to put it on twice or three times, than to chance to put too
much once; because if you put too much into it, you know well, that
you cannot take back any of it. And if your master entrusts the
blanching to you, that is when it is the time for blanching, strain
the liquid in a clean pot, strain it through a quite clean strainer;
then pour clean cold water on the meat, blanch it from that then in
its liquid. Do thus with all types of meat: hen, goose, veal, lamb, in
the matter of blanching. After this a little above we also tell what
should be cooked how when we get to that.
---

I haven't really figured out what was meant by _abárlás_, which both
Bence and I translate (for lack of better ideas) as "blanching", but
there seems to be too much liquid going on in those instructions for a
roast.

I do wonder whether some of the particularly incoherent parts can be
attributed to misreading/mistranscription or editorial error...

Julia
/\ /\