[Sca-cooks] Vinegar Making?! Was Re: halloo the list??

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 22:03:38 PST 2019

On Jan 8, 2019, at 8:28 PM, Wanda Pease <wandap at hevanet.com> wrote:

> I have two quarts of the juice of my very old Thompson seedless grape sitting in the coolest part of my kitchen pantry.  I used some “mother” from a bottle of Organic vinegar and so far no mold, so good.  I tried a bit after letting it sit quietly for three months.  It was mildly vinegary but still quite sweet, so I’ve left it alone.

Please do let us know how this turns out.

I'm not sure you need or want to "let it alone". Some commentary in my Florilegium talks about medieval people shipping bad wine from one port to another, with the constant shaking of the ship helping to speed up the turning of the wine into vinegar.

>    This coming year I would like to try making verjuice.  The time I tried I was even more clueless so it developed interesting molds.

Perhaps of use:
verjuice-msg (168K) 9/15/18 Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/verjuice-msg.html

> Regina Romsey
Stefan
--------