[Sca-cooks] Introducing Period Cookery was Bear's projects

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 17:46:04 PST 2019

Thank you all excellent suggestions!
Ana

tors 10 jan. 2019 kl. 20:33 skrev Sam Wallace <guillaumedep at gmail.com>:

> I am sorry I am late to this thread, but I undertook a similar project on
> another cooking group I participate in. I am the only one on it that enjoys
> historical cooking, but the others all seem really interested in the dishes
> I share. We did a gift exchange this winter and I made a cookbook
> consisting of simple menus and recipes from a wide range of times and
> places. I also through in some booze, so the recipient was really happy,
> but I got enough requests to upload a PDF of the work to that group's
> archive. A number have said they will be working from it and should be
> posting pics this weekend. I am quite excited about that.
>
> The idea was to provide approachable recipes for a modern audience. I put
> all but one recipe in a more modern format, though I typically did not
> provide measurements unless they were actually specified in the original
> works. I also provided notes that I hope are helpful to provide background
> on the food. Finally, I added a poetic accompaniment to each meal,
> typically drawn from the same time and culture the respective meals were
> taken from. Here is the table of menus I gave. Please note the 11th century
> meal is vegetarian.
>
> Mesopotamia - 16th century BCE - from The Oldest Cuisine in the World,
> Anonymous
> Leg of Lamb with Salted Broth; Bread and Honey; Fruits and Nuts
>
> Rome - 1st century BCE - from On the Properties of Foodstuffs, Galen of
> Pergamon
> Rabbit with Grape Must Sauce; Groats with Dill, Flatbread Pastries Soaked
> in Honey; Various Fruits
>
> Rome - 2nd century - from On the Subject of Cooking, Caelius Apicius
> A Sauce of Fine Herbs for Fried Fish; Chickpeas Boiled Sumptuously; Young
> Cabbage Sprouts
>
> Baghdad - 10th century - from The Book of Cookery, Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq
> Judhaba of Apricot; A Cold Dish of Dressed Carrots; Nabatean Water Bread;
> Melons and Fruits
>
> Halegannada - 11th century - from For the Benefit of People, Chavundaraya
> II
> Mandige Fritters; Pulses with Oggarane; Basmati Rice; Fruits and Nuts
>
> Durham - 12th century - from Sauces from Poitou, Anonymous
> Various Sauces for Sausage, Fish, Veal, Duck and Chicken; Bread; Apples and
> Pears
>
> Normandy - 13th century - from The Food Provider, Guillaume Tirel
> Roast Venison with Cameline; Red Deer Surprise; Golden Toasts; Almond
> Pudding
>
> Cairo - 14th century - from Treasure Trove of Benefits and Variety at the
> Table, Anonymous
> Meat Stew with Okra; Eggplant; Seasoned Olives; Flatbread or Rice; Baklava
>
> Savoy - 15th century - from From the Kitchen, Maistre Chiquart
> Salmon Tart with Cameline; Blancmange; Wine Jelly
>
> London - 16th century - from The good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin,
> Anonymous
> Chicken with Oranges; Spinach Fritters; Peach Pie

> [...]
https://anavaldes.wordpress.com/
www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0

<http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/>

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci