[Sca-cooks] Yoo-Hoo??? (WAS: Re: cast iron pans)

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Fri May 17 01:56:14 PDT 2019

On 5/16/2019 9:58 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> On May 16, 2019, at 6:21 PM, Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> my momvan died a month ago, so i was without a vehicle as my husband is the one that has the functioning car, then my mom's estate settled so i went shopping and bought a replacement momvan.
> Why do you call it a momvan?

because minivans are traditionally driven by moms who need space for
kids and sports gear =)

>> cookingwise, i managed to find my copy of Cariadoc's redacted recipes but not the compendium of reprints so I have been working on plotting out a week of period food for a long camping event to ave a nice periodesque experience. Haven't really had any questions, at least so far =)
> Any interesting redactions?

not as much, there really is only a couple ways to make patina of pears,
a custard is a custard is a custard, proportions need to be kept - so
the only real thing is tweaking seasoning =) mainly i am trying to
adjust roman through rennaisance meal habits to match our more modern
meal habits, keeping in mind as we have discussed onlist years ago the
medieval habit of leftovers as the first meal of the day, and the sort
of catholic pressure to only have 2 meals a day, and the roman habits
that were sort of odd [like the majority of the population would
actually not be able to cook so a lot of meals were purchased like bread
cheese and some form of preserved viand like dried fish or sausage and
fruits as meals , not to mention we dont drink our wine watered down =) ]

i am thinking of breakfast being bread, fruit, dried sausage and having
instant cream of wheat and oatmeal [subbing for basic porridge] on hand
all the time, doing a basic soup [my ricet for example, the meat can be
canned as i like either boneless country style pork ribs or medium
italian sausage as my protein source] or the vegan minestrone, and
making dinners the interesting meal. I want to get one of those DC
powered 'coolers' that I have seen online, no ice =) and i read
somewhere someone powers theirs on a solar recharged battery pack so i
am checking into that so perhaps a cooler of solidly frozen meat will
make it easier to depend on not having to use canned meats [lords salt
sounds good, i have always liked sauerbraten and hasenpfeffer] or dried
meats, or go shopping every other day and dealing with melting ice =)

> As some may have found out, the Florilegium is now down. Apparently the guy whose server farm/location where the Florilegium server has died and that is complicating things. In addition, my friend who owns the server hardware and who has been hosting the Florilegium is on a cruise in Alaska right now, so a bit out of reach.
>
> Several months ago, I did buy some space on Host Gator, originally to move the Florilegium there under Wordpress. However, that hasn't been proceeding well, so I plan to start moving the Florilegium over there as a website, but I've got figure out how to get FTP access to the site, which username and password to use etc.
>
> I will eventually get the domain names moved around. Right now that site is at  http://www.florilegium-test.org <http://www.florilegium-test.org/> .
>
> Stefan

hopefully it will work out for you. I am part of a few yahoo groups and
we are discussing how yahoo is screwing over us poor little groups but
hven't really been able to figure out [we all write fan fiction and it
is annoying when our archives of stories go dead and randomly do funky
shite ... any suggestions - we don't want a random wordpress blog, or
invest lots of money]

so ... what does it take to actually run a small server for something
like the florithingy? it struck me that it is similar - storing files
for access, and how does one organize something like this email group?
if we want to divorce from yahoo and still remain in email contact
groupwise, and have someplace to archive files [both images and text,
though not so much in the way of images we can link to imagur  for that
i guess?]

---