[Sca-cooks] Experimenting with Mystery Keema and the Ni'matnama

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Wed May 29 13:49:33 PDT 2019

On May 23, 2019, at 9:25 PM, pixel <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com> wrote:
>  I swung
> by the frozen meat case out of curiosity, and, jackpot! They had
> ground...something. Samosa for supper!! However...it was unlabeled.

Oh, daring!

>  So I am calling it
> the Mystery Keema. For those of you who are curious, or who are Stefan,
> "keema" is ground or minced meat.

Lol. Yes, I was going ask this.

> Samosas are an import into Indian cuisine, you'll find them in Middle
> Eastern restaurants as sambusa. They go right the way back, at least to the
> 10th century, because they show up in whichever 10th century cookbook that
> is which is in the other room and I'm too lazy to get up and verify the
> title.

Perhaps of interest, in the Florilegium:
India-Samosas-art (8K) 7/ 6/15 "15th Century East Indian Samosas" by Baroness Anastasia Alexandrovana Andreeva (OL).

> The Ni'matnama (which is conveniently on my desk here) has a bunch of
> recipes for samosas, both sweet and savory. In fact, it starts out with
> samosa recipes. The first recipe is, I *think*, for a cheese filling. The
> second is for a (probably) lentil and herb filling. The next three are meat
> recipes.

Sounds interesting. Recipes? Redactions?

> Margaret

The Florilegium is down but I'm happy to send any of the files my email.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris