[Sca-cooks] Tartine 2019

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Tue Nov 26 17:09:47 PST 2019

oy! sorry about that.

So, I was poking around on-line yesterday trying to figure out when the new issues of Bon Appetit and Saveur, and a couple of others, would be showing up, when I came across a couple of articles (epicurious https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/tartine-isnt-the-same-as-it-used-to-be-article <https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/tartine-isnt-the-same-as-it-used-to-be-article> ) and review pages for this book, which I did recognize the name, from the big froo-froo 13 years ago when it was originally published.

Most of the comments I found were very positive, BUT, from the first, people writing customer reviews were meeping about measurements and moisture levels, especially in two really foundational recipes, the croissant dough and the English muffins ( Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Tartine: A Classic Revisited: 68 All-New Recipes + 55 Updated Favorites (Baking Cookbooks, Pastry Books, Dessert Cookbooks, Gifts for Pastry Chefs) <https://www.amazon.com/Tartine-Classic-Revisited-Favorites-Cookbooks/product-reviews/1452178739/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews>

From the level of excitement at the sites where I found out about this NEW EDITION I sort of assumed folks here would be talking about it too. Although it certainly is OP! I'm not working on anything particular, just kind of rev'd up about trying new things for the holidays (which is when that is most likely to happen, usually).

I like weighing too, in some cases. I've been weighing my main bread ingredients for several years now, and it sure does give you a different perspective than the old volume measures. Weight is weight and doesn't care how damp a day it is, or when you sifted last!

I can see I'm gonna' have to collect a copy of the first ed., for comparison purposes. At least.

Thanks, I hadn't meant to be so opaque.
Chimene