[Sca-cooks] Cardoons

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Apr 17 19:06:36 PDT 2020

I've worked with them a couple times, when I chanced upon them in a grocery.  The basic instructions are to get rid of the leaves, take the stalks and trim both ends, then pare off the spiny sides of the stalks, cut them into pieces and blanch the pieces.  I've found that blanching should be parboiling.

A slightly different preparation method than the one I did can be found here https://foodandstyle.com/prepping-and-blanching-cardoons/

Please let me know what you discover in your experimentation.

Bear