[Sca-cooks] Onion Leaves with Beef

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Apr 22 20:57:12 PDT 2020

I had a nice little eye of round roast which got cooked for supper and with which I prepared this recipe.  The sauce is a little thin for my taste, but it goes well with meat and potatoes.  A little starch would thicken it.

As a feast recipe, this is easily prepared and tasty.  Scaling up the sauce, the red wine vinegar should scale without a problem.  The ginger and black pepper need to be added to taste.

Bear

ONION LEAVES WITH BEEF.

Wash the roasted meat, put it onto a skewer, wash it and add some salt, then roast it. When making the soup, peel the onion and wash it in clean water. Slice it in a clean pot and pour the beef broth onto it. If you’re serving this to only one table, you may use only three or four onions; boil them, but spare the onion (12), remove the soup, add some vinegar, ginger and black pepper; after the roasted meat is done, beat it so the salt will fall off, slice it onto a plate then pour the soup onto it.

12 Do not overcook the onion

The Science of Cooking (Transylvanian Cookbook, late 16th Century) ed. Glenn Gorsuch, http://www.fibergeek.com/leathernotebook/files/2018/05/Transylvanian-Cookbook-v3.pdf

Clean the roast.  Salt it with coarse sea salt.  Spit or oven roast to the desired internal temperature.  Remove the excess salt and slice.

For the sauce:

1 medium onion
2 Cups beef broth
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Peel the onion.  Wedge cut into eighths to form "leaves."
Add onion slices to the beef broth in a sauce pan.
Bring to a boil.  Cook about 5 minutes, until the onion pieces are soft, but still have rigidity.
Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar and the spices.

Pour sauce over the beef slices.  Serve.