[Sca-cooks] Transylvanian meat and onions

Glenn Gorsuch ggorsuch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:38:49 PDT 2020

Hey, cousins!

There is also this one with pork:

Fourth. (143) Cold pork with garlic.

Prepare the meat like I told you to. When boiling it, add two or three
onions; once the onions are cooked, pass through a strainer the water into
a clean pot, boil the meat until it's tender.  Don't have too little sauce.
Put it on the fire again, let it cook and add some spices. Once cooked,
pass the broth through a strainer onto a clean pot and put its meat into
plates; until the sauce is cooling, chop some garlic into it. Once cool,
slice some onions onto the sauce and stir it so that it will have power,
then pass it through a strainer onto the plate; and if you want to keep its
head, then so be it.

It’s fairly tasty.  Like Bear, I like my sauce to have some body to it, so
I ended up puréeing the first onions in the broth (a la passing the cooked
onions through a strainer).  The “some spices” I used were ginger, a bit of
saffron, and black pepper, as you can scarcely go wrong using those three
in this cookbook.  Pork used was a simple shoulder roast, salted, browned
on all sides, and then boiling it as above.

As an aside, this is VERY easy to make using an Instant Pot if you’re going
to a pot-luck feast...

Gwyn/Glenn Gorsuch

Number 14 under "Hen" (chicken) is the same thing: cook sliced onions