[Sca-cooks] Onion Leaves with Beef

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Apr 23 18:04:22 PDT 2020

Translations are always considered suspect.  It's why I like to have an accurate transcription or a facsimile copy of the original work.  A translation issue in Apicius has given me a screwball idea as to why an artichoke recipe shows up in the mushroom section.

Actually, I do have a question about the ninth beef recipe.  As translated, the recipe calls for the roast to be opened and hollowed out for a filling.  It occurs to me that the recipe could also be a roulade similar to Szuz tekercsek or Rinder rouladen.  How accurate is the translation of the recipe?

Bear

I suggest asking me about any recipes you want to try from the
Transylvanian cookbook. The fact that the crowd-funded translator was
neither a historian nor a cook Really Shows, and while Glenn has done
wonders with search-and-replace, there are always new errors that we
didn't think of.

Our local cooking group was just getting into the swing of things
exploring the two short recipe collections when the lockdown started.
We really liked a few of the things we came up with (such as spinach
in butter and honey, and a squash custard-like-thing); I should email
our list and collect our redactions. (I'm horrible at remembering to
measure, but others in the group are more disclipined.)

Julia
/\ /\